Saturday, June 11, 2011

2011 Susan G Komen Race for the Cure

So, I don't have as many pictures as I would have liked. It was difficult to take pictures while pushing a stroller in a crowd.
This is something we have wanted to do for quite a while. This year we had yet another reason to participate. I want to give a HUGE "THANK YOU!!" to everyone that supported our team. Unfortunately, quite a bit of our team was not able to make. So Mom, Garreth, Aidan and I went on out with the masses to walk for a wonderful cause.
This years Race for the Cure was the 15th one for our area. It was amazing the numbers of people who came out and we were doing the later race. They hold two separate 5 K's. It is around a local college and the neighborhoods we walk/run through are amazing. The support they give is unbelievable. People have signs in their yards if they are survivors and for how long. Neighbors sit in their chairs in their yards/porches and cheer on the participants. They have sprinklers out, hoses, misting tents/tunnels/crazy self made contraptions. They blast music from their houses. Another local college had an acapella group singing on the side by a church. It was just amazing to see all the support. Their was an street where they had all their city trash cans out and they were these all over and people were using them to hold posters. It was just an amazing experience.
This is something we hope to make a tradition of in honor of all people affected by breast cancer.
Grandma Prickett was diagnosed with breast cancer my freshman year of college. She was very lucky she was in her 70's. Also her cancer was encapsulated so it was easy to remove and no radiation or chemo was necessary. She did have a rough recovery and scared us a few times with some infections. She is now 80 and doing well but does have lymph edema in her arm where her lymph nodes were removed.
Cousin Jenny, she is still fighting her fight for over 10 years. She is a crazy wild vibrant person and a heck of a fighter. I can't tell you all of the details of her journey however, currently she currently suffering from lymphangiosarcoma. She will be making a trip to NC to meet with Doctors at Duke to hopefully find some help with her situation. Please pray for her and her daughters. Jenny has the breast cancer gene and has gone through quite a lot.
Aunt Connie was diagnosed with breast cancer in May 2010. After a lot of chemo, radiation and surgery she is trying to get back to feeling like herself and spending her time watching her sons play baseball. She had a tough journey over the last year. We missed seeing her at all the family functions. It was so nice to be able to have Christmas with her last year. Please pray that she continues to heal and stay cancer free.
There is one other person that I have no picture of. My Great Grandmother Prickett ( although she remarried and had a different last name.) We called her Bong. Yeah, yeah, laugh if you want but she was one tough cookie. I only know stories and have very vague memories because she passed away right before I turned 3. She was a later in life breast cancer survivor. I most certainly know no other details than that. She passed away in 1985 but not from cancer. I do not have any pictures of her but my Mom and Grandparents do. She was always special to me. Funny, that I only knew here for just under 3 years.
Hopefully, this list does not grow and that a cure will be found to help all women who fight the battle.

No comments: