Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Friday, July 13th and the following weeks

This Child is part monkey.  I get him down, turn around and here he is again.  That is how the cycle goes.  Almost never ending. 

Newest Comfort item in July.  A Disney Cars potty seat.  Is he interested in potty training?  Nope.  We see it as baby steps though.  This seat tagged along to the OT, nap, bed, shopping trips...you get the drift.
I would see peoples fear when they  see a potty seat.  I guess thinking it's used.  I would reassure his Therapist, it has not been used.  At least I don't think.  If it has I promise my OCD tendency of cleaning as deprived it of any nastiness.  You see, we got these for Aidan when he potty trained.  The deal was, Aidan was uneasy on the big potty.  A part of his vestibular sensory difficulties. Aidan never used the potty seats.  He used the little potties, then went to standing to pee and finally warming up to the Thomas potty seat...not the Cars.  

Anyways, we headed up to Ohio in July for a Family Reunion.   Of course, we have no photos.  **Sigh**
Onward to Friday, July 13th.  
Logan is usually awake by 7:30a at the latest.  On a super late day 8a.  We heard him talking earlier in the morning but then he was quiet.  (Which happens and don't get him..he is not ready to be up.)  Andrew left for work.  By 8:45a I was feeling funny that he was still in bed.  I checked on him at 8:50 all while talking down  my internal panic. He was in bed his eyes opened and rolling in the back of his head and I said,"Oh, you're so tired!"  Well, 5 minutes later I told my self I need to go get him.
His eyes were open and he was quiet.  He sat on me and melted into me.  (This is not "normal.")  Then I noticed a foul odor of  a dirty foot.  (Like Valerian root...) I thought to myself, "Wow! You're lovey did not reek  last night."  His eyes kept rolling in the back of his head and he was pale almost gray.  My brain kicks in that he must be nauseous and  a stomach bug was lurking.
I then smelled his lovey.  Oh the stink but his PJ's smelled too.  I thought, "My Kid did not stink when he went to bed."
So I got him new clothes because who wants to be nauseous and smell of nasty foot.
I went upstairs and decided to sniff his sheets.   They reeked too!
I got him new clothes.
I changed his diaper.  He was a limp noodle.  (this does happen from time to time)  I sat him upright and he moaned and fell over.  His eyes kept looking like he was falling asleep.
I think, "Wow! He must feel TERRIBLE!"
I went in to my proactive mode for vomit, getting the puke bucket and laying out towels for him to lay on.  I put him on the couch and he kept looking like he was nodding off.  I went and got the thermometer and he had no fever.  Very strange.  But, hey you don't always get a fever when you are sick.
Daniel climbed on top of Logan 3 times and Logan had no reaction.  Usually when Logan is trying to wake up and Daniel sits on him Logan yells and rolls away from him.
Even more strange...
Aidan started asking me why Logan was not saying anything.  Which was true!  I was so busy waiting for an exorcist style vomit session that I did not even notice he had not babbled a word.  I also was keeping calm on the outside, so I did not think Aidan was feeding off me.

I got a juice cup and put it in Logan's hand.  He finally gripped onto it and after a while I got him to drink it.
Then about 5 minutes later, he sat upright and started scripting and running around.
It was a strange 45 minutes.

No need to go into anymore of a novel, but long story short (for me anyway) even for us this was a weird episode.  I talked to Andrew, My Mom and My Sister.  Usually if I say something his weird they are a voice of reason.  They ALL thought it was weird.
I called the Pediatrician.  The nurse wanted him to come in.
They think Logan had a seizure episod.  So a script for an emergency anti-seizure med and 4 days later we had an appointment with a pediatric neurologist
I have recited these event countless times since they happened.  I never did put Logan down for nap that afternoon in fear of it happening again and we kept him in our bed that night too.
The neurologist ran an EEG.
Ultimately, the Doctor is pretty positive it was a seizure episode and possibly due to a metabolic disorder since there was the strange odor.
His EEG is normal.  Another episode could happen again or maybe not.
He told us our course of action so we can most accurately test for any metabolic disorders.  (They aren't "easy" to test for.)
If that is the issue then he could still test negative for it, if we just went and had the test run.  They are most accurate when he would be in a metabolic crisis or even just have a cold/virus/infection.
He referred us to Duke for a Pediatric Geneticist to do more detailed genetics than the developmental pediatrician did.  Only thing is, it's takes 6 or more months to get in.  We will visit them at the End of February.

I have so many people tell me, "Weren't you so scared?!"  The truth is, I wasn't.  I REALLY thought he was sick because he acts pretty similar when he gets sick, which really isn't often.

No comments: