So I owe an update for
Aidan's 5th birthday, Daniel's 2nd and
Christmas.
We also had Aidan's final
Christmas Chapel at his Preschool.
I had another MRI and two
days after that was Andrew's 31st.
Our PC is full of photos
so until we take the time to remove some our Christmas Photos are
stuck on the camera.
I want to take the time
and possibly write a short novel regarding the next few days.
Jumping back to Dec.
20th...
I had my 3rd
MRI of 2012 and immediately after, met with my Neurosurgeon.
The tumor is very slowly
growing/changing. This again warrants a biopsy.
I expected this and was
quick to agree.
The biopsy is scheduled
for January 21st.
Yesterday, I had my pre-op
MRI. It was a brain lab series that creates a 3D image of my brain.
On Monday they will use this like a GPS to accurately locate and
remove 3 small pieces of the tumor to send to the lab for
diagnostics. Following the biopsy I will have a CT Scan to monitor
if there is any post-op bleeding. I will stay overnight for
observation.
There are risks with the
procedure, bleeding at the site of the biopsy, seizure and infection.
Another possible problem
is an inconclusive biopsy. There is a 10-20% chance that the samples
of the tumor will not give any helpful information.
The procedure will involve
making a small incision in my scalp, then drilling a small hole for
the needle to go through. The needle is about the size of a piece of
spaghetti and will have a small oval cut out on the side to “suck”
out three pieces of tumor the size of a grain of rice.
They will look at the
pieces in the OR however, they will not be able to tell what it is,
they will send the pieces to the Duke Brain Tumor Center and we will
get the results of the analysis at my follow up appointment on
February 19th.
I am OK. I know that
everything will be OK. It doesn't have any other option. That said,
I don't know where the road to OK will lead us but the end point will
be OK. I am concerned over possible complications. The chance of
risks are a small percentage but I tend to fall into the small
percentage.
I go back and forth on the
reality of the procedure and then into the it's all a dream feeling.
I did feel a lot of
anxiety over yesterday's MRI. Andrew and I also are brainstorming
for cheesy jokes. It keeps us laughing and try to keep a light mood.
The goal is to keep as
much “normal” routine for the Boys. Obviously, it is something
that is hard to grasp no matter what your age. The younger 2 will be
clueless. In this aspect I am very grateful Logan is still only a 2
year old instead of an almost 4 year old. Aidan doesn't know much.
He knows I had appointments but until December that was all he knew.
In December we told him I
had to have a picture of my brain and then talk to a Doctor about it.
Only because they changed
my appointment a few times and that changed the babysitting schedule
we needed. Aidan likes to be informed of his schedule so he get a
monthly calendar of events for home and school. He wanted to know
why everything kept changing.
When I made his January
calendar he came up with a few questions.
Regarding yesterday
morning's MRI..
Q:Why is Grandma taking me
to school?
A:Because I need another
picture of my brain.
Questions about Monday
Q: Grandma will be here
when I wake up? Where is she going after she takes us to Aunt
Melanie's?
A: Yes, Grandma will be
here when you wake up. Grandma will go to the hospital to be with us
while the Doctor checks out part of my brain.
Q: I am going to have a
sleepover at Grandma's?
A: Yes.
Short, simple and to the
point. For once he did not probe further BUT there are still a few
more days.
His Teacher's are aware of
what is going on in the event there is any backlash at school or he
starts spouting off about brain pictures.
Logan's wonderful speech
therapist will head to my Parent's house for his Tuesday morning
session.
Logan's OT knows that
someone else will bring him to his appointment Tuesday afternoon.
Luckily, Daniel always
seems to go with the flow.
I am trying to keep things
organized to reduce as much controllable chaos.
I used to be organized but
recently not so much. I am working on staying on the ball which
means a lot less sleep than our already piddly amount.
We appreciate all prayers
if people are willing.
I know things can always
be “worse” and if they are I know we will make it through.
Prayers help. My biggest
prayer is to have a successful informative biopsy and of course with
no complications.
I will try and keep things
more up to date as possible.
Andrew and I must be at
the hospital at 5:45a. The surgery is set for 7:15a and should last
about an hour. I should go home sometime on Tuesday.
2 comments:
Carrie,
I wondered why you were putting post on fb about an MRI and now it makes sense! I hope all goes well. We have done surgeries for Jared and they aren't fun; but when it happens to mommy it seems things just are crazy for a while. We are praying for you and your family!
Jill
PS> How did they discover it? with headaches you were having?
Hi Jill! Thanks! I have had aura migraines for a 10 years, usually triggered from stress. Last January they changed and I had at least 2 a week for over 6 weeks so I went in to see my Primary Care NP. Since there was a change in the pattern and my aura changed she ordered an MRI just in case. Bottom line, it seems the migraines are unrelated and we luckily found it by chance.
Post a Comment