Sunday, January 27, 2013

My Experience with my Stereotactic Brain Biopsy

So this is what filled our Monday morning.
We woke up super early and were one of the first cases of the day.
5:45 we entered the hospital. We got checked in and waited for our beeper to buzz.
They took me back to prep me. Urine samples, blood samples, weight check and verify medical history.
I had a wonderful nurse and a great technician to draw my blood. I met my Nurse Anesthetist and then the Anesthesiologist. I met my Surgical Nurse. They finally they let Andrew come sit. I had to repeat to everyone why I was there and after the 4th or 5th times I kind of teared up explaining it. My Neurosurgeon finally came did his 30 second bit and said, 'See you in there.'

The Nurse Anesthetist slipped me an sedative and I said, “Goodbye” to Andrew.
They wheeled me to the OR and I mentioned how crazy cold it was in there. They asked me to move to the OR table then told me to move my arms to the side while they put this big pink boards on the side of the table and then I was in recovery.

I was watched closely by a very nice man. He kept asking me my name, where was I, what procedure I had done and what day it was. He would often get on the phone that was attached to the column next to him. Then repeat his questions. He asked me if I was a runner of any sorts since my heart rate was maintaining in the 50's. I told him, “I used to be. I don't run like I used to, but I want to again.”
The CT was open so it was my turn to go. That was a quick scan and I told them, “That was way better than the MRI.” (time wise) The took me back to PACU and after a nurse calling around looking for my bed and fussing people out. They wheeled in my bed, moved me to it and took me to my room on the Neuroscience floor.
I was greeted by Andrew, Mom, Dad and Mr. R. The nurse (who was looking for my bed) and the man ( I assume a nurse) who stayed by my side instructed them all to leave the room while they got me in and set up.
They decided I no longer needed to keep the nasal cannula. They reported my stats to the medical staff on the floor then finally let everyone in.
I was tired. They all stared and we had awkward conversation.
I finally asked, “Do I have a headband on?
They all laughed and said, “No.”
I said,”It feels like I am wearing one.”

With a sterotactic biopsy. They attach a frame/cage to my scalp in various places and use that plus the brain lab series (3D image of my brain) to guide the needle most accurately into the tumor. The “pins” for the frame are quite sharp and left three open sores on my head. They also numb your entire scalp in preparation of the cage.

That is what I was feeling..or not feeling..it was a numb head.
Odd.
I had to have a “clear/liquid” lunch. GROSS! I am not a jello fan. I don't want a cup of broth. Oh yes and they cut my “chewing” muscle so it hurts to open my mouth and chew.
I slept on and off all afternoon, they monitored my stats and gave me pain meds.
Andrew got the nurse when I got nauseous and lost feeling in my head/face. Neurologically everything was fine she said when the nerves regenerate, some people feel numb, tingling, sharp pains or nothing at all. I was getting the numb/tingly all over my face..it creeped me out especially when the right side of my face got numb too.
The nausea eventually passed. They said I could go home but needed some antibiotics before I go. Well, that took FOREVER...one to get the antibiotics then for them to go through my IV. Finally well after 7p I was able to be discharged if I wanted. Andrew and I talked and we thought we would try it.

She walked us through our discharge instructions. One thing she mentioned that I had already noticed was not laying flat and not holding my head up. The amount of pressure that would come was terrible. My head felt as heavy as a bowling ball too.

I got dressed and Andrew then went to get the van.
Enter nausea bout number 2. The Nurse Mario went to get me a wheelchair. I began to feel horrible and went into the bathroom. I couldn't get any closer to being sick. After a few gags I stopped and felt a little better. I went to find Mario and sit in my chair.
Too bad the nausea lasted the entire time in the van. We stopped by the pharmacy to fill my prescriptions, one was for nausea. I requested Andrew park across 4 spots as to not turn the van. They did not take long to fill but it sucked for me. I eventually got a bag to hold onto in the event I got sick. Well maybe 2 miles from our house it took me over. Andrew was great. We got home and I headed straight to our room and rinsed out my mouth.

I slept on and off all night constantly changing positions due to a pretty sore head.
Medical wise I handled it great. It could take anywhere from 1-2 weeks to hear the results. They said they would call me when they got them. I get my stitch out Wednesday and have a follow up on February 19th. I should find out before the 19th. ( I sure hope so.)
Again, I pray that they are able to get a diagnosis from the biopsy and we can move on from there. I want to get this done and over with. I know it's not that simple but if it needs to be removed I want to go ahead and get that done with.   

Here is what it looked like right after surgery.  Since I couldn't feel my head and I definitely couldn't see it..I asked Andrew to take a photo for me..


1 comment:

Andrew said...

Thanks for sharing Carrie. I continue to pray that this all turns out the best it can.