Bitty turned 5 this month.
As all Children are, he is truly
amazing.
We are so grateful that we were
given Bitty.
A blessing and a true gift as
Children are.
I spent some time re-reading the
posts from
my pregnancy with Bitty.
I cannot believe 5 years have
gone so quickly.
Our Little Bitty has grown so much
and
he has helped us to grow.
Grow in Faith, Love,
Learning, Patience
and so much more that I know
we have not realized yet.
Bitty's words are coming a long.
The are honest and some times
brutal.
It is not easy, he uses them well
at times not always flattering
though.
He is able to tell us when he is
done
and
had enough.
He has told many kids to,
“Go Home! Leave!”
In a forceful tone,
we are working on being polite
but he has used his words
instead of going into
full fledged screaming fits of
frustration.
This is a big step,
now granted if they extra
stimulation
does not end
then he will go into screaming mode
but
he has gained the ability to use
words
before that point.
He is still full out in love with
numbers
and
letters.
His Teacher was working on numbers
with his class the other week.
They all got to come up and circle
a number
on their board.
She said he asked for the number
100.
She said it took some effort but
she finally stumped
him with numbers once she tried out
1000.
He still likes his lines for visual
stimulation
and
signs of all kinds.
He still does some stacking and
patterns through out the house.
Not as much as before and
we think it was due to the other
home being so wide open.
He now only begins it after some
rough bouts.
He has adjusted well to moving,
we are now 6 months into being
here.
He had a delayed reaction to the
move
and
doesn't like for
any seasonal decoration change to
be done.
Heck, he fits if he sees me add the
Boys new art work to the toy room.
That said, I do not do it when he
is able to watch.
He accepts the change so much
better
to see the end result instead of
the work.
This Birthday is the first one that
when we
asked, “What would you like?”
That he had an answer.
The first answer was, “A Dusty
cake.”
He loves Disney's Planes.
I then asked if he what flavor of
cake,
I had to offer two choices.
**This
is a typical aspect that he
works
with in Speech, ask a question,
if
an answer is not generated, we offer choices. **
He answered, “A vanilla.”
So, a vanilla Dusty cake it was!
He pings our heart on a daily basis
(as all Children do)
and
he sang with us, “Happy
Birthday!”
He did not try to grab the candles,
he focused on them,
and without being told blew them
out!
We had not been practicing at all,
he blew them all out
and
then cheered for himself.
It was beautiful.
Of course, I started the video late
and stopped it early
but am pretty sure even without a
video that this moment will forever
be etched in my memory.
He was excited on his decorations.
Of course we always did this in the
past
in hopes of some recognition of his
day
by him.
A way to denote it was a different
than typical day.
This year we went into his room,
he did his routine, “Good
Morning.” response
and
we told him it was his Birthday.
He perked up and ran downstairs
as fast as he could,
went straight to his chair
and
started “Oo-ing and ah-ing”
over
a birthday hat, and decorations.
It was a wonderful change.
He had also requested for weeks,
a red present.
So, yes we obliged and made sure
we had red wrapping paper.
One lesson we learned with our new
found
potty trained Bitty, that he truly
needed to go
potty before we said, “Happy
Birthday!”
Needless to say, I realized he had
not gone
and
we were not able to break his
focus.
I was afraid an accident would
happen.
I finally convinced him to go but
about 2 seconds too late.
Lesson learned by me for any other
event.
He is rocking the potty training by
the way.
He has come so far.
He is doing much better on the
hardest part
for him, the dreaded BM.
His signs of going are very hard to
catch,
once we finally learned them,
then the next hill
was to catch the signs at their
first appearance.
We have definitely gotten better at
noticing
and
he now is beginning to notice at
times on his own.
I know this seems like too much
information,
I promise no descriptors will be
listed
but
this is a known issue,
their bowels function
differently than the Neuro-Typical.
As to why Autism is not a
“label.”
It is a neurological disorder
It is a neurological disorder
in which their body is wired
differently than most.
Now the “why” no one gets
but to us that is not a concern.
We don't need “why”
we have what is a Beautiful Little
Man,
that views the world in a way
the majority does not.
I truly believe they are here to
teach us to keep our eyes open.
He only helps to teach us to
try to understand others,
be considerate, not judging,
to be accepting, and so much more.
He just his week had is best yet
time at the Dentist.
His Dentist had a surgery come up
so we had a change to Logan's
expectations.
He rocked it out!
This office is so understanding
of working with any kids,
but also with children with Autism.
I always found it funny when
his Dentist would explain
what he was doing and why
to me.
Try to explain the sensory aspect
Logan was battling with the
appointment.
I would smile and say I understood.
The Dentist he saw this week,
just did the blunt asking the
questions
of the exact diagnosis
and
when Bitty was diagnosed.
He sighed, a big sigh of relief
and said ( in summary):
Thank God, so many Parents
fight it, they wait so long
to seek help.
Kids are usually 4-5 by the time
the diagnosis
is made.
I just smiled.
He stated about the difference
Early Intervention makes.
I am aware.
I just smiled again.
He could not stop saying how
amazed
he was with Bitty.
And that his teeth looked so great.
He gave us tips on how they will
help
handle loose teeth.
(A concern of ours..)
They are a kind and understanding
place
and
while he was talking to me,
all the women in the office
who were done with patients were
playing with Bitty.
YES! A group of people he doesn't
know
and
he was willing to interact with
them.
What is funny, is Bitty seems to be
able
to tell who is comfortable
with him
and
will open up to them.
Oh even last night, we were making
a return
at a store
and the staff barely looked up
as she helped,
Bitty approached the counter
looked directly at her,
and clear and audible say, “Hello!”
(which sounds like
Hel-whoa)
He surprised us and her.
Then she opened up.
To us it is the power of a Child.
They are so much more than
sometimes people give them
credit for.
They are our Hope and Future.
Our Sweet Bitty is growing
on his own curve
as the Pediatrician even said that.
I did my typical smile and say, “I
know.”
He also rocked out his 5 year check
up!
This was the first time he ever
responded to the eye and hearing
test!
Yaaaaay!! 2 less appointments with
Specialist.
*There was more I wanted to say but
my memory fails me*
So our Little Bitty
weighed in at 32.5 lbs
as the pediatrician wrote “less than 5%"
and
in the room said he is hanging
at the 3rd percentile for weight
but he has gained weight since last
year
and
that is what said
he is growing on his own curve.
Bitty measured up to 41 inches
(15%)
he has grown 4 inches (I think that
is what the ped said)
since last year.
Our Supremely Sweet and Perfect
Little Bitty.
I sure hope the next 5 years slow
down a little.

No comments:
Post a Comment