Thursday, May 27, 2010

Holy Moly!!

OK. Well, Baby #3 is growing very well. Baby should be measuring 9 w 2d and is measuring 9 w 6 d. WHEW! We got to see the heart beat again and Baby actually looks like the "Alien Baby" that they should look like right now. (A side note: Aidan is EXHAUSTED and refusing sleep and in bed right now yelling/crying in anger that he is in bed. He gets quiet, listens and belts it out again. They are progressively more yelling than crying now. Sweet Little Logan is sleeping soundly next to the Room Of Terror.) I felt like if Baby was doing well there was going to be a catch. Yup, there's a catch! Geez.
Apparently this pregnancy, my body is now carrying an antibody in my blood that in a high concentration is very serious for the Baby. (REALLY!??!!! Come on!!!) Typically, with this antibody, you get if you have an emergency blood transfusion and they don't have a chance to fully match the blood.
Sorry not me, I have not had a blood transfusion.
It could possibly have happened while I was pregnant with Logan and his blood got into mine. Right now I can't remember if they ever told me what his blood type is and apparently the pediatrician's office doesn't keep it on file. I have to contact the hospital. Sounds like fun right?!
Luckily, the hospital has an email contact and I have the name of the department and their direct number to call. I really did not want to call the main line to try and navigate my way to the wrong people. So, that is on tomorrow's list of To Do's.

What does this all mean?

It means I get monthly blood draws to monitor the concentration. Right now, it is the lowest possible and we have a ways to go before we get to the "Concern" level and then a bit to go before we get to the "Do Not Pass Go" level.
The worst case scenario is something called Fetal Hydrops and the Dr. told us do NOT google it. DO NOT read up on it, we'll cross that bridge if/when we need to. That is something we are comfortable with. I can't live the rest of the pregnancy like I ended up the last two weeks. I got very nervous and had lots of vivid, horrible nightmares. If only I could find a way to avoid those! Stupid Subconscious.
If things get fuzzy we'll have a chance of needing an amniocentesis. (NOT a Fan!) But again, let's hope the concentration stays low. Maybe it was a mistake?! That is probably wishful thinking but a girl can dream right? :-) Pretty much this antibody will get into Baby's blood and start attacking their red blood cells making them dangerously anemic (called Hemalytic Anemia).
So here is another blog asking for LOTS of prayers. Let's get this Baby here safe and healthy and I think we'll be content as a Family of Five.
So, to appease Gavin, this is a lot of drama from the get go. Are we going to get the Baby Girl he says he is praying for us to get?! ;-) Even though I don't think he'll read this but just in case.
In the meantime, I want to stay busy and not let my own demons get the best of me. The concentration is low and I will be praying it stays that way. We head back in a month and over the rest of the year, I will be donating a lot of blood to science. ;-)
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Karen said...

I know how hard this time is on you guys. When I was pregnant with the twins I was put on strict bed rest at 23 weeks and told I could deliver at any time. (This was after a miscarriage, and my son also had soft indicators of down syndrome.) It was a rough few months, but I know God granted me the strength I needed to get through it and to accept His Will. Place all your fears and anxieties in The Lord, and he will carry you through! Your family is in my prayers.