10 weeks under the belt.
I guess in a few weeks I
will stop counting
at least on here.
I think it will always be
on my mind.
On Monday was my 2 month
post-op
rescan.
So, yes it was a little
over 2 months from my
last MRI, but now we are
on a roll.
Andrew as super busy at
work.
I hit the MRI mid-morning
by myself.
First time ever.
This was MRI #7 in 15
months.
So, yep.
15 months 7 MRI's
and
in the last 4 months
2 CT's.
That can at times be hard
to swallow.
I at least get a break
for 2 months now.
I am sure there will be a
few more things done before then.
Yup. We never want to
stay dull.
You know gotta maintain
our
chaos level.
If it calms too much
it is a calm before the
storm.
So please just maintain
our typical
chaos.
Norm is a bit nicer than a
huge storm.
I tried to keep the MRI
peeps entertained.
You know.
It was at a mobile MRI
place
I have never been before.
So they don't really
“know”
so you slowly tell them.
Yep.
I had the nurse and the
tech laughing pretty good.
They smiled a lot.
You know Monday's can be
crazy
so if you can keep
someone's
nice,
You may as well.
Around 2p we left for my
neuro-oncology
appointment.
This is something that is
interesting.
You know where you are
going
but then
you pull up outside
Duke University Medical
Center.
Yet, I don't go into the
main hospital.
Where the Brain Tumor
Clinic is
is at
The Cancer Center.
Yep, so, it's hard.
You feel like people look
at us
wondering where we are
going.
There are a lot of people
older than us.
Yet, here we are.
I know there are people
our age or younger
doing the same thing
but you don't always see
it.
So we sign on in,
I fill out
my paper work.
Then the Nurse calls us
back.
This time was a few less
professionals
then in April.
Weight, check, BP, and a
few questions.
Then move into our room.
This time instead of
meeting with the PA
we met with a NP.
She was nice.
We had her laughing pretty
good.
They touch base on all
that is going on
and
yup.
We keep them entertained.
She was super nice.
She asked me a lot of
questions.
Then checked me out.
Typical, listen to your
heart,
your breathing,
then they (typcial for me)
check my peripheral
vision,
check to see how my eyes
respond to light,
look down my throat.
I then get to do a memory test (slight FAIL)
they give me three simple
words
to remember.
So since I failed
miserably last time
I tried even harder to
remember.
I said the words out loud
a few times
and figure I was good.
Then she asks me to spell,
“House.”
Then spell it backwards.
Then, OK I am kind of
fuzzy here and
will probably not mention
it all.
OK..I know now,
subtraction questions.
Then check my reflexes,
balance,
strength.
While trying to explain
what I am doing
Edit: Her telling me what I am to do
and me slowly processing the task she is asking to test
strength etc.
Edit: Her telling me what I am to do
and me slowly processing the task she is asking to test
strength etc.
she can see the amount of
time it takes for me
to process the
information.
I am slow.
It happens.
And that is OK, but
sometimes
something I don't always
notice
but it's pretty obvious
there.
Then after all that.
What are the three words?
I said, “Uhhhhhhh...”
Then I remember (I try to
think pictures.)
It helps me.
It helps me.
“Cake.”
She said, yes.
Then I thought a little
longer....
Ummm....
uhhh......
“Tree?!”
She said, “yes!”
and
then just like last
time...
The last word...
I don't remember.
So I think, and think
and think...
then she gives a hint.
I got a hint last time
and still answered wrong.
This time the hint helped
and I said, “Chair??!”
She said, “YES!!”
Whew.
Yes, so cake, tree and
chair.
I had a hard time to
remember it after 5-7 minutes of time
passed.
She said, my MRI looked
pretty good.
I asked about the
mentioning of “Oiligoglendroglioma” charateristics
inside it all.
She said, there are some
parts that look like that too
however, it's not enough
to change it to a
“Mixed Astrocytoma”
they are still
sticking with
“Grade 2 Well-Differeniated Astrocytoma, Recurrent.”
“Grade 2 Well-Differeniated Astrocytoma, Recurrent.”
Whew!!!
I am having some hormonal
issues
so I asked about if that
is typical.
I have already had to go
to my Family Doctor
due to some issues
now I have another
appointment I have to see
my OB-GYN due to recurrent
issues
due to the stress the craniotomy put on my body.
due to the stress the craniotomy put on my body.
The neuro-oncologists say,
“Yeahh..that's not our strong point.”
You should touch base with
them.
Which I had and was
awaiting a call back.
(Which came the moment I
walked in the door from Duke.)
I was hoping maybe someone
may have mentioned it before.
Guess not.
Guess not.
We like to be different.
So, when Dr. Desjardin
came in she pulled up my MRI
for us to see how it
looks.
Back in April she said it
was such a clean resection
and
she was impressed.
She told us the hole would
get smaller
and
she would be watching if
the tentacles come back.
Well, this time (they
always slowly feed you with
a tad more information
each appointment)
**This is how Dr. Grossi
did it too. **
And we are perfectly OK
with that.
Things goes on a need to
know basis.
This time she said,
(something we have heard from Dr. G before)
you know we can not remove
100% of the tumor due to the
tentacles creeping into
normal brain tissue.
So the tentacles are still
there.
You see this fuzzy line
right here?
These are the tentacles.
Last time we got pointed
out a nice clean line
and the difference of the
clean line versus
pre-op MRI of the tumor
and the big tentacles.
So, if anyone has tried to
read up.
Astrocytoma's are
infiltrative tumors.
Due to the tentacles
constantly creeping into
every nook and cranny
possible.
You know, kind of spider
web like.
She did say, the fuzzy
portion is exactly
like they were on my MRI
from a couple days post
craniotomy.
And again she mentioned
Dr. Grossi's work
but this time saying,
“This is the BEST Grade
2 resection I have EVER SEEN!”
Again, mad props to the
amazing Dr. Grossi!
Seriously, people.
A-MA-ZING!!
So, in July I will be back
and
how the schedule worked
out
this MRI will be on site
at the Cancer Center
then I head up 2 floors to
the Brain Tumor Clinic.
The nurse that followed in
with Dr. Desjardin
walked right in and said,
'You LOOK WONDERFUL!”
She sounded surprised.
I don't know how I am
supposed to look
and
people at all my
Specialist Offices
keep saying it with shock
in their voice.
I guess I will take it as
a good thing.
I am not anywhere near
where I was before heck even
my biopsy.
But, I am working on it.
I am determined and will
kick butt.
The things that are hard
are, well,
I was given a “Survivor”
shirt.
I think, compared to what
others have gone through
I have done nothing
compared to them.
I don't feel I deserve it.
But then, I realized
that's not true.
It's hard to be.
It will come back.
They just don't know when
it will
and depending on how it
comes back will
possibly be a third brain
surgery
or
only chemo.
But, there will be chemo
in my life.
They just don't know when.
So, at a Grade 2 it is
benign
but I go to the Cancer
Center.
Even if my Grade 2
tentacles grow
I will go on chemo.
If new spot shows up, it
will most likely
be a 3 or 4 because they
have a high
tendency to come back more
aggressive
at 3 and 4's it's is brain
cancer.
If in an operable place it
will be re-sectioned
and
I get chemo.
It could happen any day
now
or in
20 years.
But as Dr. Desjardin said,
“It won't get there because I will be watching it so close.”
“It won't get there because I will be watching it so close.”
So yes, we will catch it
early again
and
I will continue to kick
it's ass and take names.
It was just finally
hearing that again
and
finally realizing it.
I knew it was something
that will be done
for the rest of my life.
Which I will tell you I
will die somewhere between 85-95 years old.
So, it's going to be a
long time.
It just finally clicked to
the understanding
of claiming
“I am a Survivor.”
Because I will.
So, since our fabulous
experience with Angels Among Us
I have now worn my
Survivor shirt
twice.
I may as well own it.
I wore it yesterday all
day for all to see.
Last week I wore it to my
3rd time I went to Boot Camp since
my craniotomy.
Oh yes and Monday I went
to my 4th class since surgery!
Working the way up
but probably won't get to
class tonight
because I don't think I
physically can do it
but we will see how the
rest of today goes.
So I have a photo of me at
2 months to the date
post-op and post Boot Camp
class #3.
Yeah...I was nasty sweaty. :)
My as well own it. (The Survivor title.)
It is what it is.
Why fight who you are.
And a photo from this
morning in carpool
of our sweet Aidan.
Tomorrow is his last day
of preschool.
Today as the last day I
will drop him off
tomorrow his class meets a
park for a
party.
Where did the last 5 years
go?!
We stay on our toes!
Let the chaos continue!
Thank you Lord for keeping
us challenged
and
getting us to understand
how we listen to your Plan for us.
Thank you, thank you.


No comments:
Post a Comment