Wednesday, April 10, 2013

As if things are crazy enough


I will write more of the details of the appointment one day.
In order for my brain to heal
I am to not talk, not exert myself
physically,
and
truly sleep as much as possible.
Otherwise it will take longer to heal.

My frustrations hit a high the night before.
I punched a stud in the wall.
That way I did not have to fix drywall.
Barely slept 4 hours
and
had adrenaline filling my body in
anticipation.

I will go more into the feelings sometime.

We spent 4 hours there
and
talked to 7 different professionals.

*1st Nurse took vitals.
*2nd Nurse took meds (only one) and basic history

8Met with Neuro-oncologist Physician Assistant.
Tooks a migraine, tumor history, story.
Job list
and
did an eval.
*Confirmed I have
memory and speech deficits
especially when tired.
*Also, said exercise is great and perhaps
I can do it sooner.
*Then tested my heel to toe walk
and I couldn't do it.
I began to get teary eyed.

*He showed no judgement re: punching a wall.
He was nice.
*He also mentioned how unpredictable astrocytomas are
and
that they have a very high chance of coming back.
They may come back soon or in 20 years.

Then met with my Neuro-oncologist.
She had us explain what we know about astrocytomas.
She did not want to repeat what we know.
She is super nice.
*Then she showed us my pre-op and post-op MRI.
*What we learned that we did not know before
my tumor had 5 tentacles.
:(
Andrew and I could see them without any help.
:(
They were in my short term memory area
and
optic nerve.

*She confirmed to give my eye some time to heal
since it still gets blurry and then twitches around my head.

*If still there in a few weeks I have to meet a neuro-opthamologist.
*Also talked about post op MRI, we got to see the hole in my brain
it will get a little smaller but will be there forever.
MY PLAN:
*In 6 weeks I have another MRI. For the next year I will have MRI's every 2 months.
She will look for the tentacles coming back
or new spots.
*If new spots then may need more surgery depending on where a new one is.
*If the tentacles start growing I will immediately go on chemo.
*It is called Temodar.
It will be a pill I take at home at night.
Shouldn't need any blood transfusions.
Should have little to no side effects.
Shouldn't look sick.

*IF we make it 12 months with nothing
then the next year I will get MRI's every 3 months.

Then we met a neuro-psychologist.
She wants to meet with me in a few weeks
(after more healing)
and
will do a 2-3 hr evaluation
to get a baseline
of where I am at.
*I will then meet with her weekly
to be taught how to
compensate.
*She confirmed that prior to
tumor removal I was having
short term memory issues.
*She also asked about marriage/family therapist.
We both said, 'YES!'
We will get a call soon.
This is a hard thing to wrap your head around
and
we both had talked about
needing/wanting to talk
to someone about
everything
the night before.

Between this and all the stuff
starting to pop up with issues with
Sweet Bitty.

We then talk to a research person
and
signed up to give my information
to their research to follow
how everything goes.

Knowledge is power.
If this may help it is worth it.


Then we met with a Clinical Social Worker.
She took more information
to give to the Therapist.
She also took the Kids information
to talk about the Child Specialist
to help them all out.
At home they are having some trouble
she confirmed we are on the right
path and doing well
but that they are happy to guide us
in our hard areas
and
meet the Kids too.

So yes.

The extra details and more story like will come soon.

More details regarding the next steps with Logan will come soon
and
D is still not well either
and
we have learned new stuff with him.
As the Ped said, “If I had a magic wand I would use it on you Guys. This is a lot
of crazy stuff.”
Yup. She also offered to scream for me too if it did not hurt my head.
We like this one Ped she is awesome.

No comments: