Well, another day in the books. Today was not quite as glorious as yesterday. Yesterday was the "HOLY SHIT IT'S OVER" day which contained all the excitement of post-op firsts. Carrie was able to get up and walk around yesterday. She was able to start talking and actually remembering what was going on. She was able to eat and drink for the first time in 36 hours. She got to see one of her boys for the first time. She smiled and posted pictures of the incision and her rockin' hair style!
Now comes the stuff that isn't the most exciting. The stuff that my family and I will be working through for months to come (with the help of many great and wonderful people). The stuff that will be less read about on blogs than all of the directly before and directly after surgery stuff. This is the stuff that is the most important, yet hardest to keep up and maintain.
The day started out with the usual round of nurses checking to make sure she had a temperature and her body actually had blood in it still. Dr. Grossi said she only lost about 50 mL of blood, which as he said was about 1/6th of a coke can. Her words are coming back much more clear today than yesterday. The doctor is going to start weening her down on the anti-seizure med and steroids. This should help her speech improve even further.
As the morning went on, Carrie started to get a bit more belligerent, but she was also refusing to eat. The longer time went on, the worst it got. The pain was coming and going, but mainly coming. Carrie's parents came to stay so I could go see the Littles and go help pick up Logan from school. While I was away, Carrie started to get really upset because the pain was getting to her and with that came the nauseousness as well. All the while, she was still not eating. The nurses said she needed to eat to be able to take drugs. This turned things ugly. Carrie got really upset and the pain became pretty bad. They finally got her to eat some crackers and a few other small things. The nurses were able to pump her full of some meds and she passed the crap out.
She slept for a couple of hours. When I came back, Carrie's sister was not far behind. She had picked Aidan up from school and Aidan got to play with his cousin for a while and have lunch with her. Carrie's sister brought Aidan back and he got to see his Momma! Aidan was having a hard time as well today. I think it was a bit much for him today to see that his mom was still in bed and not feeling well. I wish I could make everyone's pain go away, but I know time will take care of this one.
Carrie's brother and his girlfriend came by as well for a quick visit. I took Aidan home because he wanted me too and I helped with a few dinner things. I hauled it back to the hospital to relieve Carrie's parents and we were getting settled in the new room. Oh yeah, they had to move us today because they were doing maintenance on that section of the building. Up three floors we went!
Carrie has managed to keep a steady flow of food into her body this evening, we got another walk done and we had another great visit from a great friend. Carrie is now resting comfortably (I just paused to stare at her for a few minutes). We will be bugged by the nurses throughout the night.
All of the major exciting stuff is over with. No more super happy "HOORAY everything went well' status updates. Now it is time to get my wife ready to come home so we can march on with life. One day at a time.
I do have to send a huge Thank You to every single person who reads the blog and FaceBook that has sent (or even just thought) good words of love and encouragement. It means the world to us.
1 comment:
Just good to hear everything is "on schedule" for lack of it sounding happier.
Post a Comment