11 days..
Oh My.
I guess the reason I want
to post about all that is going on right now is
well, to keep people informed
and
a lot of information can be lost in translation.
well, to keep people informed
and
a lot of information can be lost in translation.
Another reason I feel
guilty for
is
selfishness.
I want to know that there
are as many people out there
praying for us
or
thinking good thoughts for
us.
The only way to get that
is to let people know what is going on.
We live in a day where
people are very private and don't want to “air their dirty
laundry.”
My feelings are, let
people know.
It shouldn't hurt you to
let people know you are human.
It seems a lot of people
want to give off a “perfect” life image.
No one has it
“perfect.”
Whatever that means.
It's kind of like what is
the definition of “normal?”
My normal is different
from your normal.
My perfect is different
from your perfect.
It's all about
perspective.
We need challenges to grow
and
different people need
different challenges.
We are all individuals.
Some people may seem to
have it “worse.”
All I know is I have a
great family, friends, a home, clean water, a warm bed...
I hope you get the drift.
Do I want granite counter
tops?
Do I want a bigger yard?
Yes.
I would love to have
plates for every season.
Is it practical?
No.
But, one day we may get
those things if we so desire.
Will they change my life?
No.
OK..well maybe a bigger
yard when you have 3 teenage boys.
I am grateful for all I
have.
I am thankful for our
“plan.”
This plan is not the
“plan” I had for us.
There have been some bumps
but it is way way better than “my plan.”
In my plan, we would have
moved to another house by now.
I would be thinking of
getting pregnant with our third child.
Our children would be 3
years apart. They were all typically developing.
I would have a super clean
house on a tight cleaning/organizing schedule.
The list goes on...
What did we get?
The market crashes and
moving won't happen for a while.
We have had neighbors
move, die, get divorced, foreclosed on...
All in 7.5 years of living
here.
I had our first child
quickly and to “plan.”
Then when he was 8.5
months old I found out I was pregnant again.
I fell to the ground and
cried.
I got back up and insisted
that evening we would have a do over.
So we did.
We celebrated.
We sold a car that we had
a lot of equity in.
Bought a cheap affordable
car with cash.
We saved the money of the
small car payment to help prepare for two babies 17 months apart.
Then all of a sudden our
baby was not OK.
I was on bed rest and my
Parents were out of town (they were to watch Aidan when I had Logan.)
I flipped out again.
I sat in the Doctor's
office and bawled hysterically for a while.
Then I pulled myself
together and listened to our new plan.
We then hit the
perinatologist a few days later.
They sent me straight to
the hospital to be induced.
My babies were 16 months
apart.
They prepared us for a low
5 pound baby (Aidan was 8 lbs.)
He may not be able to
breath on his own,
he may not be able to feed
well,
he will have to pass extra
tests before he goes home
because
he was deemed a preemie
by my due date and his size.
Our Little Bitty was born
5 lb 3 oz, he came home at 4lb 12oz.
He did everything he
“wasn't” supposed to do.
He was awesome.
He was a tad fussy at
times.
I remember one day out of
frustration saying,
“I did not do this
to you on purpose.”
I was so overwhelmed.
Fast forward 11 months and
I had told Andrew a few times let me know when you are ready for a
third.
And he said, “Let's go!”
Lo and behold baby #3 came
9 months later.
My second OB appointment
came and
we reviewed my blood work
and
found out this time I had
“anti-c”.
An antibody in my blood
that if the baby had a subtype of c my body would attack him and hurt
him terribly.
They told us worst case
scenario was “fetal hydrops.”
I still don't know if I
have googled it yet.
They warned us not too.
Bottom line,
if my anti-c levels began
to raise to a certain point my body would attack him
and
he would be born severely
anemic or need an inutero blood transfusion.
In a way like people who
are RH negative
but
I did not have an option
of a magic injection to trick my body.
Monthly blood draws were
needed.
Thankfully, it never
became a concern.
After an eventful birth.
Our sweet 7 lb baby
projectile vomited and screamed over 12 hours a day.
There was no help from our
pediatrician until he finally witnessed the arc of his vomit.
We were sent over to a
radiology place with a concern of pyloric stenosis.
Our baby may need surgery
ASAP.
He was fine.
We changed his formula to
soy.
*To all BF advocates, he
was the same on breast milk.*
I thought I made sour milk
and with no help from the pediatrician I gave up.
He also started being
treated for reflux.
The following week he
developed a cough.
Again, no help from the
pediatrician's office.
I knew something was
wrong.
Especially when I realized
he wasn't waking to eat.
The next day he was
diagnosed with RSV.
A few months of him still
vomiting we met with an allergist.
We learned he has
sensitivities to dairy and soy.
At 1 year old we learned
these still to be true and now included nuts of all kinds.
By Logan's 2nd
birthday I knew something was not going as planned again.
AGAIN,
we faced no support from
the pediatrician.
As told ,a month later I
called back to get the referral for speech therapy that I was
promised.
Within a month he was
evaluated by an Occupational Therapist.
By August he had a
diagnosis of Autism from the CDSA.
October he received a
diagnosis from an MD.
December it was confirmed
again when he was deemed eligible for services through the TEACCH
program at UNC.
The list goes on...
From all of this I have
learned.
If we did not have Logan.
Our world would not be complete.
We would not have the
understanding of Autism that we do now.
It was something we did
not understand and our “opinions” tended to stand with all the
naysayers regarding Autism.
We now see that was pure
ignorance.
If Daniel hadn't screamed
for 12 + hours a day then Logan's fits would have seemed even more
terrible.
Luckily, Logan only
tantrumed 4-6 hours a day due to his frustrations.
He has given us even more
ways to see how the world works.
He has given us so much more understanding.
He has given us so much more understanding.
If I had not gotten
pregnant with him..
well, we wouldn't have
him,
our plan wouldn't have
changed,
and here we would be
wanting a third child.
It would not be the most
opportune time to attempt to conceive.
My pregnancy with Daniel
and our time wondering what we needed to do for Logan,
taught us patience and
understanding.
It taught us to keep our
Faith and Hope during times of great unknown.
All in all it prepared us
for today,
Where we are.
We now know,
where we are today is only
going to
better prepare us for
tomorrow and the rest of our lives.
We are by no means perfect
and daily see our lack of Grace.
But what we have is
perfect for us
and
we are so grateful
for all we are given.
No comments:
Post a Comment